The Company History
Gawith Hoggarth & Co Ltd was set up back in 1887 as a rival company to the already existing Samuel Gawith company.
The Gawith family connection to the tobacco trade goes back to 1792, with the first company under the Gawith name being established in around 1841 but in 1878 the two Gawith brothers decided to terminate their partnership and run separate tobacco businesses, both in Kendal. The two companies briefly merged again in 1885, only for family members to part ways and set up a separate business 2 years later.
From 1962 Samuel Gawith's no longer had any member of the Gawith family involved in the ownership or running of the company.
But in 2015 Gawith Hoggarth & Co bought back Samuel Gawith's and both brands are now back under one roof and ownership with the Gawith family privately owning the company.
For an in-depth history of both Gawith Hoggarth & Co and Samuel Gawith as well as the old snuff mill at Helsington Laithes and the old factory at Lowther Street please see the links to the right.
Gawith Hoggarth & Co
Gawith Hoggarth & Co was started when the youngest son of Samuel Gawith (the first) decided to branch out on his own after working for the family firm and set up a rival business. For a detailed account please click here.
Back in 1841 Samuel Gawith, through marriage, gained entry to the already established tobacco company at Lowther Street in Kendal. Following his death his sons took over but this partnership dissolved in 1878, with Samuel Gawith leaving Lowther Street and in 1881 setting up the Kendal Brown House. For a more detailed history please click here.
The Old Lowther Street Factory
The factory at Lowther Street was likely bought in around 1830 as both a family residence and a place of business. It has been in the Gawith family ever since and was the main place of business for Gawith Hoggarth & Co until 1995. The premises lay empty until 2019 when plans were put in place to renovate and restore the old factory and preserve the history. To see more pictures and history of the Lowther Street factor please click here.
Helsington Snuff Mill
Gawith Hoggarth & Co first started using the mill at Helsington Laithes on the edge of Kendal in around 1887, and it was operational until 1991, being the only water powered working mill in England at that point. For more pictures and details please click here.